A Winter on Fire Oscar ?



It is hard for me to imagine the mood on the Kiev Metro on Monday morning, if the Nomination for Best Documentary Movie brings an Oscar award into the History of their Nation, I wish I could be there, I am sure there may be a few late, late night Oscar Parties somewhere today/tonight, it would be something like 6 in the morning if it's a winner, and just in time for the morning news feed.

I had a nice chat with Evgeny Afineevsky, one to one the other week, he has some stiff competition,
http://oscar.go.com/nominees/documentary-feature/winter-on-fire-ukraines-fight-for-freedom

The Amy Winehouse movie and the Nina Simone movie will tend to split the art vote, while Winter on Fire is on the bottom right of the list of the five featured films nominated, It may be a serious contender. As much as I know some of the people who vote into this category, all I can say is the votes were in on the 23rd, and all results are kept in a maximum security, the odds makers in Las Vegas have rated best picture and so forth, but I haven't checked if you can bet on it.

Cartel Land is closer to home and compelling :  http://oscar.go.com/nominees/documentary-feature/cartel-land

I know that what I can say, is that there are some high profile Russians who will be attending the ceremony with Evgeny tonight, risking their own safety, personal security and reputation to be with him, and since it is also close to the anniversary of the Boris Nemtsov killing, it will also have additional meaning.

Evgeny mentions to me that he has  a souvenir from his childhood, when he visited Crimea, it was the year Russia hosted the Olympics, and his mom bought him this commemorative  Bear , which he still keeps in his personal memorabilia, today.

I will always remember those times and give thanks I had a chance to see and feel what was going on, not just in Kiev, but that I had a chance to see student and opposition demonstrations in Dnipropetrovsk , talk with people in Simferopol ,  and several other areas of the country at the time.
at the end of the day, it wasn't directed by right wing Fascists, 
it was the ordinary people who said it was a time for a change


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is still a David Versus Goliath story/ Choke off Russian Oil and Gas sales as soon as it is remotely possible, kindly please.

Who Is Tomorrow's Master of Hope's Slave ?

Be No Rain